Friday, May 05, 2006

Siddhartha – Herman Hesse

My brother had seen a play on this book by some aspiring director whose name was Ajayan, I think. This happened when I was wasting time at home after my graduation. He came with full of admiration for the play and the book. And next week he managed to get a copy of the book.

This book has a philosophy, which I find very much true to my way of things. At the same it is very simple and the language is not complicated that I had to be glued onto the dictionary.

Siddhartha is desirable Brahmin youth. Adept in his vedic studies and the pride of his parents. He has a close friend Gopal(I guess that was his name). But Siddhartha wasn’t satisfied with the kind of life he was leading. So he decides to be a disciple of Gautama Buddha. His parents painfully agree. And Gopal chooses to follow his friend. Finally they reach their destination.

I vaguely remember certain conversation between Siddhartha and Buddha. There are two things that I am not impressed with at this stage. First one is that the wisdom of Buddha, I feel, isn’t highlighted enough. Second thing, the reason why Siddhartha decided to move on isn’t stressed to extend it should have. But I totally agree with the path chosen by him. I am convinced with the reason but not impressed with the narration.

Siddhartha goes in search of his destiny but Gopal decides to follow The Buddha. The best of friends, thus part their ways. Here I appreciate the individual space take by the friends. So is the fact that despite being inseperable in everything else, they accept it that their destinies are diferent. They accept it with an enviable tranquility. The author doesn't play with the emotions. But plays at a different and higher level, through out the book.

There after he gets to a kingdom where he gets everything from money to fame by his sheer knowledge and wisdom. He, still remains detached to his all that he had accumulated. He also meets Kamala, who is a courtesan. He knew he lacked the knowledge of love. So he chooses to learn it from her.

Though thoroughly impressed by the magnitude of his personality, initially she refuses to teach him anything unless she is paid for i t. After he gathers enough of money he starts frequenting her. There is an unsaid bond of love between them. Hesse doesn’t write much about that. But that can be easily read between the lines. The love and the mutual respect. The most wonderful aspect is that their love doesn’t bind them but set them free. They grow together.

This novel was filmed with Simi Gerewal as Kamala. And there was some controversial scene during there teachings. I don’t how was that handled in the movie. But the book handles it brilliantly.

One fine morning Siddhartha decides to leave everything and go back to his ascetic life. He was sitting in his garden while that thought came to him. He simply gets up and walks off. When Kamala comes to know about it, she doesn’t show any sorrow. But shuts the door of her bungalow forever to her patrons.

Siddhartha reaches a riverside and make acquaintance with a boatman on the river side. The man turns out to be a great teacher to him so he chooses to stay with him. When he dies, Siddhartha stays on as the next boatman.

One day Gopal happens to travel through that place thereby taking his assistance in crossing the river. Another day, Kamala comes there, totally unknowing that she would met him. She comes there with their son. She was on her way to The Buddha. I think both Gopal and Kamala were going as The Buddha has passed away. I don’t remember.

But the reunions are written well. There is no emotional turmoil. And Kamala dies in is lap. He is happy to get his son. But the guy isn’t happy living in his hut as he is acuustomed to his mother’s bungalow. The kid runs off. Siddartha searches him everywhere in vein. Finally he comes back with the kind of pace he had always been searching.

This is not one of those typical books that speak about Moksha or Nirvana. Rather this book tells us not to run away from the life as a layman. Take learning from everywhere. From the boatman, from the courtesan, from the merchant or from the lady at the well.

Siddhartha lives through all phases of life. But never ever he is quenched of his thirst for knowledge. Even Gautama The Buddha couldn’t fill his needs !!!!!!!!!!

Through out the book you can see the silent veneration of Siddhartha towards Buddha.

To be frank, I didn’t find it as much impressive as my brother told me. But yea, the underlying philosophy is very much thought provoking. I feel there is no point in running off from life and being an ascetic searching for peace or knowledge. It is all in your perception. And the biggest ability is the ability to be open to all forms of knowledge, even those that the so called sophisticated scholars would scorn at.

Will I ever e able to step out of my ego, my preconceived notions and my complacence ? I wish I could ...

4 Comments:

Blogger SunilKumar Elamkulam Muthukurussi said...

ഈ പുസ്തകം പ്രൊജക്റ്റ് ഗുട്ടന്‍ബര്‍ഗില്‍ നിന്നും ഫ്രീ ആയി ഡൌണ്‍ലോഡ് ചെയ്യാം. അതിലെ അവസാന ചില അധ്യായങള്‍ വായിക്കാനും ആലോചിക്ക്ാും എനിക്കിഷ്ടമാണ്. (എന്റെ മകന്റെ പേരുകൂടെ സിദ്ധാര്‍ഥ് എന്നാണ്)-സു-

2:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This book was a life-changing one for me.

I had been reading stuff like the Tao Of Physics (Fritjof Capra) and was high on mysticism.

And when I started reading this book, Siddharth's search for the ultimate answer was exciting. After all the travails he goes through, I was expecting some kind of mystical, universal truth to pop out at the end. But the ending was such an anti-climax that I stopped fantasizing about all that non-sense and get on with life!

Aside, the best philosophical work in novel-form that I have read is "Candide" by Voltaire, in terms of the message. But in terms of narrative, Hesse does a good job.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just one little correction, which i think is vital for the story.

Siddartha did't leave home in search of the buddha. He left for attaining Nirvana. After meeting many Sadhu's and realizing that he hadn't learnt anything from them; and that it wasn't the path for self-reliazation. When he discusses that with Govinda (not Gopal), Govinda tells siddartha abt the buddah and they decide to give it a shot.

Btw, I like your choice of books, and I would strongly recommend 'Love in the time of Cholera' - By Garcia Marquez.

-
Buddha

4:23 PM  
Blogger Dew Drops said...

@budha
thanx for the corection. i have read this years back.

Marquez is my all time favorite. sure will give it a try. thanks.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home