Friday, June 02, 2006

Tuesdays with Morrie – Mitch Albom

All of you, who have read/are reading/planning to read any of those self-help books, please read this. There is nothing to like or dislike in the book. It is a simple books that tells you about a dying man how much he appreciates life. But if you are looking for some high fundas or philosophies on life, please don’t bother to read..

Morrie is a 70 year old dying man. And Albom was his student. Albom could never find the time to contact his professor before he learnt that the old man is dying. He goes to visit his old professor. And the book is all about their meetings on Tuesdays. I will just quote something from the book that struke me hard.

“Forgive yourself. And forgive others”

Forgive myself, that had always been the hardest part for me, even if my mistake is ridiculously silly.

“Death is so natural. It is just the part of the deal you made”

It can come anytime.

Morrie shakes you hard to open your eyes. He urges you appreciate little things in life. To love people, not to keep grudges, find pleasure in not being the first.

Things that we realize only on our death bed. Hopefully, we have time to imbibe the essence of Morrie’s last days.

This book had left a mark in my heart. Give it a try. May be you will learn to appreciate your own life, the people around, even the lifeless things around you. Believe me, that is a good feeling.

4 Comments:

Blogger kb said...

Hey...i reallly liked this one as well.Mitch Albom really gets it right.We tend to block out thoughts of mortality generally.But the way Morrie takes this chance to teach us all a lil something about life is totally inspiring.At times I felt the book was a tad depressive, but then i realized that the truth cant be sugar coated.Truth hurts and we just have to bite the bullet.Also loved the fact that it was a short,to the point, engrossing read.
Weedwanderer

2:28 AM  
Blogger Sudarshan said...

Well I've never read or heard of this book...but really seems a good read..Now I bet I'll have a huge number of books pending to be read, all thanks to you and your blog:-) Hey I wanna blogroll you..but I'm a bit confused lol. Which is your main blog? This one or the other one? Please let me know!!
Enjoy your weekend:-)

12:01 AM  
Blogger Ajnu said...

Albom captures the best moments of everyone's life; the most subtle moments of endurance and still manages to make us realise how evident it all rounds up and hits us back at one stage or the other. His tender observations of how life has to be taken in and that life has alot more after death than while living all seems to make sense. I've read his book "The Five people you meet in Heaven" and anyone who reads this book is capable of seeing his/her death through the eyes of it's narration. And after reading, i truly believe in appreciating the people i meet throughout my endeavour......

I hope u give it a try as well

10:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

.._ recently blocked about the same the book...
http://toogood2read.blogspot.com/2006/07/tuesdays-with-morrie.html

would recommond movie too..

3:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home